With the integration of high-end camera technology into smartphones, everyone has started clicking tons of pictures. Now, everyone knows how to lighten up a dull image, how to take a portrait shot, and how to capture an image without noise. But how many of us know that when we click and save an image, it is not only the image that is saved but also a lot of information along with it? And when we share that image on social platforms then also automatically a lot of information associated with that image is shared. The information includes the location, time, dimension, size, camera model, location, and a lot more. This data attached to the photos is known as metadata or EXIF data.
Now since you are well aware of the fact that while sharing any of our photos metadata is also shared along with it, you may be surely looking for a way to either edit EXIF data or eventually remove it. But before going forward let’s learn what is EXIF data and why you need to edit it.
What is EXIF data?
Exchangeable Image File Format abbreviated as EXIF is a standard to add metadata to the images and files. With the modern-day camera, whenever a photo is clicked automatically some detail about that image is also stored like size, format, location, time, and date. Now the good thing is that you can further modify that EXIF data as per your requirements. How? This is what we will be going to discuss in this article.
Know more about Understanding Metadata for Photographers at Pixpa.com
Why do you need to edit EXIF data?
As discussed till now every image captured image has some EXIF data connected with it. So, there can be various reasons why you need to edit that EXIF data. Out of the several reasons we have listed some of them below:
To alter the default name i.e. somewhat like IMG_03162019.jpeg to some expressive like vacations_2019.
- Add location information if not by default linked.
- Adding a title to make the image more descriptive, eventually leads to making the organization of photos easier.
- Adding a caption for easily locating a specific photo out of many.
- Changing the date and time of a bunch of photos to organize as intended.
How to Edit Exif Data of Your Photos
Now getting back to the point of how to edit EXIF data of the photos. So, guys, you can edit this manually as well as automatically via software. The only problem with manually editing is that it will take a lot of time and you will not get the desired results as well. Also, when you have thousands of photos in your system that is not a big deal nowadays then manually editing the EXIF data is nearly impossible. Therefore, to edit EXIF data one should go with a dedicated EXIF editor tool. This will not only speed up the process but also provide the desired results. Below we have provided three tools that will do the task for you
1. Photos Exif Editor (For Mac and Windows)
No matter whether you have to edit the metadata on a Windows PC or Mac this amazing tool developed by Systweak will do it easily for you. Photos Exif Editor is an easy-to-use tool that can modify any type of metadata like EXIF, IPTC, and XMP within no time. Its simple user interface makes it more convenient even for a layman user. To get started with the program all you need is to drag and drop the images into the application.
Prominent Features of Photos Exif Editor:
- Can read and modify EXIF, IPTC, and XMP metadata.
- Compatible with all the common image formats including RAW.
- Manually set GPS coordinates for the images
- Available for Windows 10, 8, 7, XP and Mac.
- Change the EXID data of a bunch of Photos in one go.
- Create a Preset of the metadata that can be used in the future or present session.
- Remove unnecessary info from the images within no time.
EXIFPurge (Windows & Mac)
The second tool that will help you in modifying the EXIF data is EXIFPurge. This one of the amazing tools helps a user to edit EXIF data of multiple Photos in one go. Therefore, this tool will help you save a lot of time when you have to edit the metadata of thousands of images.
Salient Features of EXIFPurge:
- Easy to use even for novice users.
- A portable program so that you can use it directly from a USB drive even without installing it on your machine.
- Appropriate for batch editing.
- Available for both Mac and Windows.
Image Exif Editor (Mac)
Img Src: www.macupdate.com
If you are using a Mac, then you can go for this tool. The program is designed in a way that you can easily but effectively view and edit EXIF data associated with the image stored on your Mac.
Features of Image Exif Editor:
- Simple User Interface
- Undo redo functionality for batch editing.
- Easily alter the destination associated with an image by just dragging the pin.
So, guys, hope from now onwards you do not have to mug up around to edit the EXIF data of your images. Happy Clicking.