VoIP that stands for Voice over Internet Protocol is a technology that facilitates a smooth flow of voice communication via a broadband Internet connection. In today’s time, Skype is one of the most popular examples of VoIP technology.
How VoIP Technology Works?
The VoIP technology converts the voice into a digital signal and transmits it to another person or at the other end via the Internet. VoIP services allow users to make a call in various ways like:
- Directly from a computer
- From a special VoIP phone
- From a traditional phone connected to a special adapter
For a successful VoIP service, the essential equipment requirements are:
- A high-speed broadband Internet connection- Via a cable modem, or through high-speed services like DSL or local area network
- A computer (Some VoIP services only work over the computer). Along with the computer, the users also need some software as well as a microphone.
- An adaptor (Some VoIP services allow users to use a traditional phone connected to a VoIP adapter). With an adapter, the users are able to dial the numbers and the service provider may also provide a dial tone.
- A specialized phone (Some VoIP services only work over a specialized VoIP phone). These phones are directly connected to the broadband connection, thus functions as a traditional phone system.
What is VoIP Software?
A VoIP software or solution connects people via VoIP telephone headsets and computers. The solution automatically converts the voice of the caller into data and route it to the other side via the internet. In all, the system facilitates:
- Automatic conversion of voice into data
- Data routing to the other point or individual
- Transmitting voice traffic
- A highly efficient method of voice transmission than the conventional phone networks
What are VoIP Development Services?
Today, the VoIP industry is one of the top industries in the world. A large number of businesses that use VoIP solutions directly or indirectly use VoIP development services. Companies hire VoIP developers to get customized VoIP solutions to meet the specific requirements of their business. These services are highly beneficial for companies that utilize VoIP solutions for business communication like IP PBX solutions, Conferencing solutions, WebRTC phone solutions, and more.
Top 3 Open Source Platforms For VoIP Development
Below mentioned are some of the best open-source platforms that businesses can utilize to get custom VoIP solutions developed to meet the varied requirements of their business:
Asterisk: Asterisk is one of the most popular open-source platforms for VoIP and PBX solutions development. A perfect blend of PBX functionality and various advanced features of VoIP make Asterisk a leading open source telephony platform. Asterisk is an ideal solution for call centers, enterprises, SMBs, and government agencies throughout the world to develop IP PBX systems, Conference servers, and VoIP gateways. Some of the key features of Asterisk are:
- Automated attendant
- ADSI on-screen menu system
- Call forwarding option
- Call blocking option
- Facilitates detailed call recording
- Caller ID
- On-hold music
- Remote call pickup
- Voice mail
- Supports SMS messaging, and more
FreeSwitch: FreeSwitch is another most popular open-source platform that supports a wide range of codec and protocols. It also facilitates effective management of different types of media including text, multimedia, audio, video, etc. FreeSwitch development provides an ideal platform to build any VoIP solution that needs to handle thousands of concurrent calls. Whether it’s about developing wholesale VoIP solutions or multi-tenant VoIP solutions, FreeSwitch is a great choice for businesses that are looking for robust, scalable, and cost-effective solutions. Some of the key features of FreeSwitch include:
- Audio conferencing
- Web conferencing
- Video conferencing
- Call Groups
- Multi-tenant Support
- Interactive Voice Response (IVR) solution
- Click to call
- Billing solution, and more
WebRTC: WebRTC stands for Web Real-Time Communication, also one of the most popular and widely utilized open-source frameworks that comprise a unique set of APIs (Application Programming Interfaces) and communication protocols. As the name suggests, it provides web-based real-time communication with the help of browser to browser app, while eliminating the need for downloads, installations, and plug-ins. Some of the key features of WebRTC include:
- Instant chat/messaging
- Voice call
- Video call
- Video conferencing
- Audio conferencing
- Screen share
- File share
- Image share, and more
Since all the above-mentioned platforms are open source. They facilitate all the source coding online for free. Businesses can consider a VoIP developer for hire to get the customized solution to meet the specific requirements of their business.