Installing recoveries such as ClockWorkMod (CWM) and TWRP is likely to be done along with the rooting procedure. But today, I’m giving you the step-by-step procedure to install TWRP recovery on your Samsung Galaxy S4. For those who don’t know what recovery is, hold on, I will be explaining in detail. By the way, TWRP is the most feature-fledged recovery mode available in the market for any Android device. Though it competes with CWM, TWRP has got something special to stay ahead. Feature-wise, TWRP is far ahead of CWM and I personally recommend TWRP over CWM for your high-end flagship devices.
Oh, I forgot to say. I recently bought the beast, aka Samsung Galaxy S4 from the earnings of this blog and I was preparing to post something special for S 4 users. I must say, it is worth each penny you spend on this if you exploit the features wisely. It has come with such awesome innovative ideas like Air Gestures, Air swapping, etc. So, first, learn the features that are included inbuilt and fly on.
Before entering into the task, make sure that you have the exact variant (GT-I9505) as I mentioned here else your phone may undergo bricking. Please be aware of this. After installing TWRP recovery, it can be used for other tasks too as by using the same you can easily make backups for saving the current ROM and the data, apply wiping, optimization, customization and maintenance operations, or even root procedures.
- As said above, make sure you have the right version of S4. For this, go to settings -> about phone and check if it’s GT-I9505.
- Even though we are confident about this setup, it’s always recommended to take proper backup of important files like messages, contacts, calendars, notes, etc. It’s easy if you have synced your Google account as it automatically takes a backup of this data.
- Windows based computer
- Disable all antivirus for at least 1 hour for uninterrupted file access. So turn your security software/app into Gaming/silent mode.
- Enable USB Debugging as follows Settings> Development> Android Debugging
- The phone must have at least 60 % power to avoid power failure.
- Your device should be an unbranded one, i.e., should not be locked with any such carriers.
TechBii will not hold any sort of responsibility for troubles that you would face in any condition. Nothing to worry about. It’s a rare case to get bricked. If you follow these steps carefully, you can successfully install TWRP recovery on your beloved Samsung Galaxy S 4.
Installing TWRP Recovery on Galaxy S 4 GT-I9505
- Download the TWRP file on your computer and place it on your desktop for easy access.
- Make sure you installed sufficient drivers for S 4. If not, just insert your driver disc and install the Samsung Kies Suit. You can also download Kies from Softpedia from Here
- Download and install Odin Tool from here.
- Switch off your phone and enter into Download mode by simultaneously pressing the Power, Volume Down, and Home buttons.
- Now open the Odin tool that you have installed in Step 3 and connect your phone to the computer in Download Mode.
- In the next moment, the ID:COM section should be turn to yellow or blue, indicating your phone has been detected by the software and ready to access. In the opposite case, just re-install the drivers and re-plug the device after a reboot.
- Now click on the “PDA” button in the Odin tool and load the TWRP file that you’ve downloaded in Step 1.
- Click start and take a blink. Wait until it completes the file transfer and after successful setup, your phone will automatically reboot. Now disconnect from the computer and it’s been over.
How To Enter into TWRP Recovery After Installation
Obviously, it’s time to check the TWRP mode, and here’s how you can boot into TWRP mode easily. Turn off your phone and press the Power, Volume Up, and Home buttons at the same time to boot into recovery mode. There you can navigate the menus by tapping the screen or with volume keys. Enjoy the features and after the workout, just tap on “reboot system now”. 😀
Aha. You have installed TWRP recovery on your Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505. Now start experimenting with some super cool custom ROMS that are built to play and even install performance scripts. Do exploit the power of the beast and let others say, “You are a geek”. Do let me know your feedback via comments. Your questions are always welcome. 😀