I recently posted a tutorial about rooting Galaxy S4 and many users have requested me to provide a rooting guide for HTC One X as it’s also a flagship Android smartphone and, in fact, a strong competitor to these Samsung S models. By the way, here we are going to install the latest CM 10.1 on your HTC One X with Android 4.2.2 running on RC 2 (Release Candidate ) build.
In order to get access to custom ROMs say, CyanogenMod, you must root your device first. Hence at first, we are guiding you to root your HTC One X in a step-by-step manner. Rooting high-end devices has always been riskier and you must hold the responsibility for your own device we have not held any guarantee for successful results, though this method has been tested without any problem.
I must say some words before moving ahead about this tutorial. Rooting and installing custom ROMs on your HTC One X may void the warranty and proceed further only if you are glad to receive the final results in any manner. However, we will be doing our best to explain the process as easily as possible and you can ask your queries via the comments below. So. it’s time to root your HTC One X.
Table of Contents
How To Root HTC One X
You should back up your confidential files and data before going on. You can backup your contacts/calendar etc. via syncing your Google account to the phone and in order to backup other files, it’s advisable to move all important data from internal memory to external storage media. Hope you have taken the necessary precautions and all the best.
- Keep battery level at least 60 %
- Enable USB debugging via Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging
- A Windows-powered PC, USB cable, and phone drivers are installed on your computer.
Here we go.
- Download r1-endeavor-superboot.zip and copy it to your desktop.
- Switch off your phone and enter bootloader mode by pressing the Volume Down Key and then the Power Key simultaneously.
- After entering into bootloader mode, just wait for 10 seconds and then connect your phone to your PC with a USB cable.
- After the phone is detected by the computer, open “install-superboot-windows” from the downloaded file on the desktop.
- Follow those procedures shown in the tool and wait for a while to root your phone. You will get a message that your has successfully rooted and then you can unplug your phone from your computer.
The first step, aka, rooting HTC One X has been done now. Now reboot your phone and install root checker app from play store to check whether your phone has been rooted properly.
On the second step, we are going to install the most powerful custom ROM for your HTC One X. CyanogenMod 10.1 built for One X is extra stable and super fast. It’s great in terms of battery life and I’m sure you will definitely like it. 😀
Installing CWM (ClockWorkMod) Recovery on HTC One X
Unlock your bootloader first before installing CWM recovery. For unlocking bootloader, click HERE
- Connect your One X to PC with debugging mode on.
- Download CWM file from HERE and copy to your computer
- Now open “My computer” and move onto ” C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools” and Copy the downloaded Clockwork Mod Recovery (on step 2) file to the folder.
- Now power off your phone, press and hold Volume Down + Power, and get into “fastboot” menu from the bootloader menu.
- Now open a command prompt. For this, Press and hold the shift key and right click in the folder window then choose “Open Command Window Here”. Now type “fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-126.96.36.199-endeavoru.img” in the command and hit enter. After that, type “fastboot reboot” in command and let it reboot your phone.
Now you have installed CWM recovery on your HTC One X. Now install the CWM app from Play Store. All done about CWM installation. Now you are ready to install/flash any ROMs or scripts on your phone. 😀
Installing CyanogenMod 10.1 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean on HTC One X
- Download the latest CM 10.1 for HTC One X . Copy it to a safe place and never ever extract it. Let it take rest there.
- Download the latest Gapps for Android 4.2.2 (Note: install the file matched to the 4.2.2 version and other version’s GApps like 4.2.1 or 4.1 may not work well )]
- Now connect your phone to the computer and copy both CM 10.1 and Gapps to your SD Card.
- Enter your phone into recovery mode and make a NANDROID backup for safety.
- Now again come to the recovery home and do “wipe data/ factory reset”.
Then select “install zip from sdcard” and load the CM 10.1 file and the GAapps file (both files are in ZIP format) respectively one after one manner.
Once both files are been flashed, you can select the “reboot system now” option and by doing so, your phone will automatically reboot. Note that the first boot may take up to 10 minutes. So don’t worry about that. WOOHOO. Let’s recollect what you have done through this awesome tutorial.
- Rooted your HTC One X first
- Installed CWM recovery
- Installed the latest CyanogenMod 10.1 running on Android 4.2.2
We have taken lots of time to write this lengthy guide. So, your feedback is highly appreciated. Also, Share and comment your reactions as well. 😀