You will not realize it until it happens! This is the current scenario of malware attacks. In an era where we depend on virtual data storage, threats like malware are among the biggest risk factors.
Can you believe there are 1 billion+ small and big malware threats on the world wide web ready to infect your PCs, smartphones, and all other digital devices connected to the internet? Malware attacks have become so frequent that the 2022 stats presented by DataProt will chill you. Have a look:-
Highly Concerned Malware Stats:-
After reading these statistics, you must have understood the severity of malware attacks. Before kneading to the ways of safety from them, first of all, you should know them closely. Let’s have a close look at the definition of malware.
Understanding The Basics of Malware
In straightforward words, malware refers to any sort of program that was intentionally designed to do damage to or take advantage of another software program or hardware. Malware, an abbreviation for “malicious software,” was developed with the intention of causing harm.
Malware is able to infect digital devices and computer networks and is designed with the intention of negatively affecting its users. This damage may manifest itself to the operator or endpoint in many ways based on the malware type and its objective. Malware can have dreadful effects in some conditions while having very minor and harmless ones in others. Now that you have the basic definition, let’s get familiar with the types of malware threats:-
- Mobile Malware
- Wiper Malware
- Fileless Malware
After knowing the malware names, the next step of learning is the types of malware attacks.
Most Common Malware Attack Types:
- Messaging apps attack
- Email attack
- Malicious advertisements
- Popup alerts
- Physical media
Victims are usually targeted through these types of attacks, but you must always remain aware of new unknown threats too. Now we are going to know about history’s severest malware attack examples for your general information.
- Vienna Virus:- It came into existence in the 1980s and caused the first ever huge damage by destroying files and corrupting their data. With the emergence of dangerous malware, the world’s first anti-virus also came into existence.
- WannaCry:- This virus actually made people cry, especially private companies and government organizations. This ransomware attack in 2017 infected the highest number of computer systems in history.
- Equifax Data Breach:- If we talk about the biggest data breaches, the personal data theft of 147 million people comes at the top charts.
Now, it is clear that the term “virus” we know is just a part of malware threats present in cyberspace. Let’s go one step further to learn the techniques of safety.
Effective Ways to Stay Safe From Malware Attacks
- The most popular ways to spread malware are through unusual emails, rapid alerts, phony profiles, as well as other scams. Don’t tap or click on anything if you aren’t sure what it represents.
- Malware can be found everywhere, from official shops to websites that host pirated content. Always verify the reliability of the supplier before downloading and installing.
- Purchase an ad blocker tool. Malvertising, in which hackers insert malicious files into a network of ads that are otherwise genuine, is increasing nowadays. Utilize an effective ad blocker to stop it by blocking advertising. Some malicious adverts can start downloading automatically without even requiring your click.
- Use caution when browsing. Although malware could be discovered anywhere, sites with weak backend protection are the most frequently affected. Your chance of coming across malware is very low if you are browsing a significant, reliable website.
- Always keep your software updated. Security flaws in obsolete software may exist, which developers constantly fix with new software upgrades. Upgrades for your OS and applied software should always be installed as quickly as they are made available.
- Use antivirus software to secure your gadgets. Your device could still become contaminated with malware threats even if you heed all of the aforementioned instructions. Combine wise online behavior with effective anti-malware software for maximum security.
We have provided you with detailed and simplified information regarding malware attacks, their potential to cause damage, and prevention tips. Now it’s time for you to at least buy an original premium version of anti-malware so that your personal, as well as professional data, remain safe from someone unwanted!