Nothing is safe in this world nowadays, especially the Internet. Attacking and accessing your home network is a matter of a few seconds for an experienced hacker. If you’re not careful, they can easily access your private and confidential data. But do not worry, we are here! Follow some of these tips and methods to increase security.
Table of Contents
Make Your Home Network Secure
Well, there are hundreds of ways through which you can make your home network more secure from malicious activities. Some of the below-mentioned tips are free whereas some of these are paid (like antivirus, and internet security services), Choose according to your convenience and budget.
1. Hide Your Identity:
The most important step to secure your network is to hide your identity. It is done to ensure that hackers don’t know your network name and hacking without knowing the identity of the connection is quite a difficult task. Change the default SSID of your router device and go for a different name.
2. Secure password:
This is a common method to improve your network security. You should use a secure password with some characters (both upper and lower case), numbers, and special symbols. It is also advised not to use a name, phone number, etc. as the password, as these are easy to crack, and users should change their passwords monthly in order to improve security.
3. Encrypt Your Network:
Encryption is done in order to ensure only authentic users use the network. There are different methods of encryption. Router manufacturers provide features that allow users to start configuring with a single click (on my router, a WPA2 button is available). WEP, WPA, WPS, and WPA2 encryption are the standard these days, and anyone can use them. Different manufacturers have different settings though, and users should visit their websites for more details about the specific settings for these types of encryption.
4. Use a Good Firewall:
The firewall filters incoming and outgoing data packets and keeps a check on malicious attacks. It thus protects your network from all types of hacking activities. We all have a built-in firewall provided by our router. But you can also use a firewall provided by other devices, such as an antivirus for your home network. You should always go for trusted brands like Bitdefender Antivirus if you’re going to invest in an additional security gadget.
5. Buy Extra services:
Some companies provide extra services through which users can secure each and every device that is connected to a network. Some of these are hardware devices, while others are cloud-based services that simply help fortify your connection.
Some Extra Tips
1. You can change the setting of remote access on your router, in order to provide more security. You can disable this setting as well so that you can access the router’s configuration from the remote system only. For more information on this, please contact your router’s manufacturer.
2. Never share your password with anyone. You should try to avoid sharing your router’s password as well.
3. Log out of your account and turn off the router when you don’t need it. Make these two things a habit as they can make a huge difference.
4. Keep your device up to date. Always try to update the firmware you are using, whether it is of the router or it is of your device. With every new update, the built-in firewall is improved.
5. MAC address filtering can be done in order to provide extra security though it doesn’t provide high security.
6. Always use good internet security software and try to avoid suspicious software or apps.
We hope this will help you a lot in making your home network more secure. In case you need more help, please contact us as we are always here for our readers and please subscribe to us too it will help us a lot. Apart from making your home more secure, it is also important to use a smart trash can to make your home cleaner.