In this article, let’s learn what are the types of drones and how they’re used. Drones have swiftly become a mainstream addition to everyday technology. They are unique because they are controlled remotely through software systems and manual functions. Drones also have built-in GPS and sensors that enable the users to navigate them better. Used for anything from taking photos to lifting heavy objects, drones are as handy as they are agile.
Types of drones
Implementing drones into the workplace has shown many benefits including reduced production costs, heightened productivity in the workplace, and enhanced precision.
While the domestic drone is often the kind that comes to mind, there are many different types of drones. Main types of drones usually have sub-types as well, each built with a specific use in mind.
Most popular types of drones that are used professionally in different sectors:
- Multi-Rotor Drones. Multi-rotor drones are generally the most popular type used. With the ease of control and high precision, they are commonly used in surveillance and aerial imagery. These drones can range from having 3 motors, known as a tricopter, to octocopters that have 8 rotors. Octocopter type drones such as a flying crane are great for lifting heavy loads.
- Single-Rotor Drones. Single-rotor drones resemble helicopters with one large rotor on the main body and a tail to maintain balance when flying. These types of drones tend to be more efficient than multi-rotor drones. However, they are generally higher maintenance and pricier than the above.
- Fixed-Wing Hybrid VTOL. The VTOL drone is indeed a hybrid model which features fixed wings while rotors that are placed on them mean it can stay at low levels above ground. These drones are excellent to deliver posts and can carry larger packages safely as the autopilot feature keeps them sturdy.
- Fixed-Wing Drones. Fixed-wing drones resemble airplanes with one built-in wing on each side of their body. Because of their build, these drones are able to keep themselves in the air somewhat effortlessly after lift-off. Fixed-wing drones can also cover larger areas compared to rotor-based drones and hover in the air for long time periods up to 18 hours.
Some other types of drones that deserve a mention are:
- Tactical Drones
- GPS Drones
- Photography Drones
- Reconnaissance Drones
- Large Combat and Non-Combat Drones
- Micro Drones
- Target and Decoy Drones
- Small Drones
Commercial uses for drones
Now that we’ve covered the types of drones there are, let’s look at the many commercial uses for them across different industries.
Aerial Mapping and Surveying
- Drones create metro maps including measuring, geo-referencing, and taking aerial videos while preparing maps.
- Mapping with drones is used in landfill sites to detect hazardous waste and leaking chemicals.
- High-precision 3D maps can be performed by drones by keeping up to 200 meters height above the area of interest.
Management and Inspection
- Farmers use drones to keep track of crop growth and potential hindrances to the success of their crops.
- Drones are used in forestry to monitor the tree count and health of forests.
- The marine industry implements drones for logistic assessments, environmental issues, and traffic control.
- Traffic management works with drones for the surveillance of traffic and to monitor road repairs, accidents, and construction.
- Drones work with waste management to collect, identify and sort garbage and monitor landfills.
- Drones are also incredibly useful in contributing aid in natural disasters. With the correct programming, they prove to be highly efficient in identifying and analysing issues. They can also deliver critical supplies and detect humans in need.
Videography and Photography
- Weddings and large-scale events used drones to get a literal bird’s eye view of the party. With such a high vantage point, photos and videos can capture moments and scenery like never before.
- Advertising and promotional campaigns use drones to take marketing to new heights. With the possibility of taking breathtaking photos and videos, drones are valued to increase sales.
- The film industry and cinematography have implemented drones to help create timeless scenes in movies.
- Drones are used in real estate and land development to assist in planning and capturing imagery to simplify processes and heighten sales.
Now you’ve learned what are the different types of drones and how and where they’re used. Feel free to drop a comment if you need additional info.