Have you ever faced the “This app can’t open” error when you tried to open an app that has been working properly on Windows 10? It basically follows the format: ‘This app can’t open using the built-in administrator account’. Don’t worry. You are in the right place. Let’s see how to fix it.
If an administrator is denied to access specific features, then nothing else is needed to produce big uncertainty. If you get such a message when you try to open an app, no wonder you lose your temper! Windows 10 apps won’t launch error is most likely to be seen in older Windows 10 versions.
If you are a Windows 10 Pro user, then the solution is as simple as picking a flower from a garden. Or if you are a Windows 10 Home user, then the process is a little bit more complicated. Anyway, fortunately, we have the solution for the ‘this app can’t open’ Windows 10 fix.
Solution for “This App Can’t Open” Error in Windows 10
Don’t see this error as a severe one! It is one of the common bugs tied up with Windows 10 and can be simply cured by making slight changes in the local policy for Windows Pro users and by altering some features in the Windows registry for Windows Home users.
Fix: ‘This app can’t be opened using the Built-in Administrator account’ [Windows 10 Pro]
You are lucky if you are a Windows Pro user because the procedure is easy. As we have seen, you have to make some changes in the local policy if you are struggling with this issue. Let’s see what to do.
- Search for Local Security Policy by using the Windows search bar. Click and enter there on the settings once you find it.
- Click on the Local Policies > Security Options > User Account Control: Admin Approval Mode for the Built-in Administrator account. As shown below
- Click that and turn it enabled > Click Apply > Press OK.
- Then like the same way click on the “User Account Control: Allow UIAccess application to prompt for elevation without using the secure desktop.” Just below the “User Account Control: Admin Approval Mode for the Built-in Administrator account”
- Click it and turn it enabled > Click Apply > Press OK.
- Close everything, Then type “UAC” on the search bar & click on “Change User Account Control Settings”.
- Scroll the left sidebar up top most the second position. Means, from “Do not dim my desktop” to “default”. if it is already in that position then leave it unchanged. click OK. (This is not a necessary step. But you should do this to keep your PC error-free)
- Restart Your PC, Everything will be alright after you do so!
Fix: ‘This app can’t be opened using the Built-in Administrator account’ [Windows 10 Home]
If you are a Windows 10 Home user and getting an error like this, then you can solve this by making some edits in the Windows registry. Okay, let’s see.
- Open Run by pressing Win+R & type regedit then click OK
- Accept the dialogue box and navigate to the following location. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Policies > System
- Right-click on the System Key and select New > DWORD & Name it as; FilterAdministratorToken
- Change the value to 1
- After that go to UIPI on the system by following the path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Policies > System > UIPI. There you will see a key named Default, Click twice on it and set its value as follows 0x00000001(1)
- Restart your PC.
We have seen how to fix This app can’t be opened using the Built-in Administrator account error for both Windows 10 Pro & Home users. If you face any difficulty while fixing the ‘This App Can’t Open’ issue, let us know.